Big Solar-Plus-Storage Deals Signed In California
Recurrent Energy LLC, a subsidiary of Canadian Solar, has signed two 15-year power purchase agreements (PPAs) in California with Silicon Valley Clean Energy and Monterey Bay Community Power for a 150 MW AC solar power system with 180 MWh of battery storage. According to Canadian Solar, this joint procurement represents the largest contracted solar-plus-storage project in California to date.
This partnership resulted from a joint procurement process that Silicon Valley Clean Energy and Monterey Bay Community Power launched in September 2017 to source renewable power for their respective communities.
“As a community choice aggregator (CCA), we are proud to help California lead the transition to clean, reliable and flexible energy,” states Girish Balachandran, CEO of Silicon Valley Clean Energy. “We are proud to partner on a new renewable energy project that makes a significant investment to reach our state’s carbon-free energy goals and contribute to solving the state’s grid integration problem by investing in large grid-scale energy storage.”
Power will be supplied from Recurrent Energy’s Slate photovoltaic-plus-storage project, to be built in Kings County, Calif. The project is scheduled to reach commercial operations in 2021, and the energy represented by the contracts is enough to power 37,500 homes, providing Silicon Valley Clean Energy with 55% of the energy and Monterey Bay with the other 45% of the combined output.
The project’s lithium-ion battery component is 45 MW nameplate with 180 MWh of energy capacity, allowing for four hours of flexible energy delivery.